And that is why I shore dive the North Side of Beadnell Point with a 10l

Because it's a damn long walk back!

Nuts and bolts first.....

The vis was around the 6m mark but some suspended weed and a bit wishy-washy

The temperature was 12degC

I had planned to go in on the South Side of the Point so was wearing a 12l cylinder, however when I got there the sea state was a tiny bit of 'short chop' which combined with the tide being at rock bottom meant that the silt had been 'boshed' from the top of the kelp so was messing up the vis a tad....as I had already walked to the concrete culvert it isn't that much further to the North Side.....is it?

There were a couple of guys replenishing the area with lost fishing weights and they were genuinely surprised to find out that they were casting over the boiler, but the direction of their casting meant that my planned dive area was clear so I got my stuff together and leapt in from the top of the wall, maybe three meters up to impress the anglers rather than any good reason!

I very quickly started picking up weights and did so until the end of the dive, as you could probably guess from the total, but with ok vis and low tide I had a good hour going all over the site and wow, it has changed, significantly, since last summer in 2018.

For a start there is now a short swim through of maybe three meters where a section of the hull has been bent back on itself, no good when solo just incase you snag up but with a buddy a 'nice thing', a large portion of the superstructure has also been thrown inshore by maybe twenty meters, along with most of the cobble size stones which were around it, I did have a good luck on the now exposed area which comprises of solid rock, concreted steel/rust and a peculiar white 'stone' which I am guessing could be cement that is 'going off', that said unless it was the cargo I am unaware that any concrete bags were used to try and salve the Yewglen.

The area where the main winch has come to rest is also scoured 'right out', with maybe a meter of sand and stone shifted exposing the same combination of bedrock and rust, I had a good scour but turned up only lost weights and no sign of any more nice trinkets, although I am sure that there are many more to find! Now the cobles from this area have been cast up at the shore end of the gully and the superstructure here has been battered with more plates dropping from the girder structure so plenty of photo opportunity here for the 'ships graveyard type shot'.

One major plus point is that a particular lump that I have had my eye on for a while is now free, sitting on the bottom just waiting to be cared for.....it will be a bloody big job so I will need to sweet-heart the Ancient Diver, but I reckon he is up for a bit of amateur salvage work, or I hope that he is!

One nice 'spot' was that the infamous lobbie hole on a pinnacle has been re-inhabited, last year it was empty but before then it held a monster that probably died of old age, I remember that the first time I saw him and it was a him as the nippers were HUGE, was when I was chasing down a lobbie that had bolted from a crack and it was backing into his hole. It got the shock of it's life and this bloody great blue fiend basically chased it out waving one open claw and another that held a few crushed and 'oozing' legs from the now thoroughly disgruntled lobbie! The current resident isn't monsterous but is 'large' and a target for BBQ extraction later on in the season. On the topic of blue fiends there were hundreds crawling about and this is obviously known by the potters as pre-dive I spotted a few strings of pots dotted around in the shallow inshore waters.

There were a few fish about with Saithe being the most common but no sign of any Ballan Wrasse at the moment, I guess that they will be coming out from their hidey holes and the deeper water in the very near future, the larger fish really cant be that far away as although I didn't see them there must have been quite a few sandeels about as the terns were really busy in the upwelling of water that you get from Beadnell Point on a flooding tide.

Anyhow, exit was relatively easy as the tide had changed and there was around a meter of water now on the natural stones steps which made it very easy to dump the booty bag full of weights before climbing out, taking off masks, fins and the like before starting the long trudge back to the car, which incidentally is a damn long way when you have to carry a heavy bag!

Dive safe


Weight this dive - 15.2 kg

Weight this year - 162.2 kg 

Recommended suppliers

Latest Photographs